One man's worst nightmare became reality when his house was tragically set on fire. Most people immediately think of the economic damage caused by a house fire, and it's true that furniture and electronics are expensive. However nothing is as costly as losing things that are irreplaceable: photo albums, wedding dresses, or family heirlooms.
The man in the video below had his house catch fire when he discarded a 9-volt battery. These are the size of battery you would normally find in smoke detectors. Because the positive and negative posts are so close to each other, all it takes is a little bit of conductive metal for disaster to strike. In fact, just touching a piece of steel wool to a 9-volt battery will instantly make the steel wool erupt in flames.
In order to properly keep a 9-volt battery safe for disposal, the National Fire Prevention Association recommends covering the posts of the battery in electrical tape. NFPA also insists that you never throw away 9-volt batteries, but instead take them to a disposal site near you.
Watch the video below to learn about this man's story and see how he wants to help others avoid his mistake. If you found this video eye-opening, make sure to share it with your friends on Facebook so they can see it as well and learn about the dangers of batteries. If you have any fire safety tips you've picked up over the years, please let us know in the comments! House fires are often a tragedy that can be avoided, and we want everyone to stay safe!